Monday, February 9, 2009

Our little Lovesie..

Here's the little Champ on day 2. Sweet little love is all hooked up and not feeling good at all... He would just lay there looking exhausted. Would not say or do very much. The round big tube is the oxygen blowing at him. They had no incubators which are more appropriate for little babies in my opinion, only tubes with masks. He did not tolerate a mask so, they left it freely to just blow in his direction.. Then he had a sensor hooked up on his foot, it would set off an alarm if his oxygen levels would drop below normal ranges. On his arm he has an IV that's wrapped up so he would not be tugging on it. On day one he would only take 2 oz at a time and that was over several hours.. So he had to be on extra fluids. 2 oz per feeding every 3 hours is like what a newborn would eat and he definitely is a big guy. He weighed in on 18 pounds 3 oz, almost doubled his own size in 4 months. It was so sad to see him like this.
The 1st nurse wanted him down flat on his back. As that Nurse left the shift I propped him up. He had heavy, heavy discharge and I know he needed to be propped up so he would not choke. As the next shift started and I asked again about his position they informed me they could tilt the entire crib with some buttons, and so we did that for the rest of the stay. He felt much better. I taped up some toys for him to look at and entertain him while he layed there. On day 3 he was so sick of his bed..
There's the crib you can't really tell but it is tilted quiet a bit.


 
I didn't get much sleep as I watched over him for a "72 hours shift" that never ended.. We were there for 4 days and 3 nights. This experience was extremely exhausting. I have never been so physically stretched thin and worried about any of our kids.. On day two out of 4, my eyes was hurting by just looking around and I had a hard time to even focus on objects. I've been tired before in my life, but this was unreal! I don't know how I survived this hospital stay, I am a person that need my daily sleep to function. I somehow just kept going and had whatever strength I needed to be there for Landon. I am sure Heavenly father had a steady eye on us. I am very disappointed in the nursing staff, they pull 12 hours shifts and I applaud, but they could have and should have been more attentive to us. They were understaffed and under-skilled also. Tired and/or Lazy -pick one, I don't care... It was no excuse to me.

No comments: